[ Contents ]
Date: 23 Jul 2004
Time: 18:51:33 -0700
Remote Name: 184.108.40.206
Liam is slowly trying to get better. The docs here are always modifying his meds to try to find the right balance for him. Yesterday, he moved into a private room, too! This is still in the ICU, but it's kind of nicer because it's a little quieter and mom and dad have a little couch in the room with Liam. It's not "hotel duPont", but it's pretty good. They're taking great care of him.
Yesterday, they also extubated him! Woohoo! At first things seemed really positive, but I guess Liam decided that he didn't like the situation and his carbon dioxide levels shot up during the night. So, they decided to put the tube back in overnight. The nurse gave a call (at 1:30am) to Heather at the RMH to let her know and Heather called Chris up at home and freaked him out in the wee hours of the morning. But all is well again, even though he's back on the ventilator.
Today, a doc spoke to Heather about the possibility of putting a tracheal tube in at some point. That's not a definite, but something they wanted to give us a heads up about...which is a good thing, because it would be a shock to come in one morning and see Liam with a tube in his neck. However, after the doctors and nurses explained it (much smaller length than his current e-t tube) and explained the benefits of it (more mobility for him, less stuff on his face) we realized that it might not be a bad thing.
When they're ready to take him off the tracheal tube it'll take a while for the hole to heal, but it will heal eventually so that'll be nice. We just wish he didn't need one more "device" that he's reliant upon. But if that's the case, that's the case.
The cardiophysiology docs also recently "interrogated" his pacemaker to check it out. That's where they put the remote reading device over the pacemaker generator and check the settings. They will probably be making some setting changes, but they haven't yet. When they do, it'll just be a matter of putting the interrogation device back over the generator and reprogramming it.
So, I guess that's pretty much it for now. We thought Liam would have been listed on the heart transplant list sooner, but he isn't yet. I think one of the surgeons needs to go through his records and check him and make a final call and then he'll be listed. Not much happens in terms of major decisions on the weekend, so I'm guessing that'll happen early next week.
Take care and god bless,
The Kelleys in the City of Brotherly Love